Thursday, June 19, 2008

More Historical Photographs of the Papal Liturgy

While in Rome, I managed to pick up some images from the solemn form of Papal liturgy as it was celebrated before and during the Second Vatican Council.

I thought I would share them with the NLM readership.


This first image many will recognize from a larger photo that is out there on the internet of John XXIII celebrating the Solemn Papal Mass in St. Peter's Basilica. I have chosen to close-up into the image on this particular section for the sake of detail. I do have the entire image in a larger edition as well.


Solemn Mass in the presence of the Pontiff, John XXIII, in the Lateran Basilica

Corpus Christi procession with the Pontiff, John XXIII.


The Solemn Papal Mass with Paul VI. It would appear to be in St. Peter's Square.


We have seen Pope Benedict XVI wear the "saturno" a couple of times, including recently, here is John XXIII.

More recent articles:

For more articles, see the NLM archives: